The dramatic improvement in algorithms and hardware in recent decades has facilitated the treatment of applied mathematical models which were considered intractable only a few years ago.
This has led to the emergence of Scientific Computing as a "third scientific methodology", as distinct from theory and experimentation. Exploiting this new approach requires (a) sound mathematical training, (b) expertise in the practical aspects of computing and algorithm development, and (c) an interdisciplinary, scientific viewpoint which transcends traditional disciplinary boundaries.
The graduate program in Applied Mathematics and Scientific Computation at Bowling Green State University is built upon Analysis. At its core are optimization and the numerical simulation of models involving partial differential equations. Through the coursework, the student will acquire rigorous training in real, complex and functional analysis, as well as a breadth of understanding of applied models. He or she will also gain significant practical computational experience which will be of great value in further research or in an industrial setting.
Areas of Active Research
Highlights of research projects being conducted at BGSU by members for the Applied Mathematics faculty in collaboration with researchers from other departments include:
- Numerical Partial Differential Equations
- Inverse Problems
- Multiphase Porus Media Fluid Flow
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The faculty of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics has a variety of research interests which include analysis, applied mathematics, probability and statistics, algebra, topology, and mathematics education.
- The Department enjoys active and collegial relationships with the other science departments on campus. The student will find a liberal arts atmosphere in a University setting, which is conducive to interdisciplinary education and basic research.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics Applied Mathematics View 208 other Masters in Applied Mathematics in United States
- Graduate Application
- $75 non-refundable application fee
- Scanned copies of official or unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended. Upon admission, final official or notarized copies of transcripts from all institutions where degrees were earned (showing dates when the degrees were conferred) and diplomas from international institutions must be submitted.
- Standardized test scores (GRE, GMAT, PRAXIS, OAE) may be required.
- Programs may also require recommendations, a statement of purpose, a resume, and other documents.
International18678 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9339 USD per semester during 12 months.
National18678 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9339 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State10688 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5344 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Bowling Green
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.