The Cultural Studies in Education (CSE) program is a critical interdisciplinary program that studies social, cultural, philosophical, and historical issues in education. The CSE program addresses social and cultural theory, as well as narrative, qualitative and ethnographic methods to study education. This graduate program approaches Cultural Studies in Education in a range of contexts from the funds of knowledge of family and community settings, to the social, cultural, political, economic, and contested struggles of public urban schooling.
CSE faculty and students recognize the power of alternative ways of knowing and being and stress the significance diversity plays in education. Students in this program explore the fundamental importance of racial, ethnic, gender, and sexual orientation diversity in education. CSE faculty specialize in a broad range of topics in cultural studies such as:
- sociocultural knowledge and teaching,
- critical theory and pedagogy,
- contexts of activism in education,
- identity formation,
- African American and Latina/o experiences in education,
- diasporic community knowledges,
- Indigenous knowledge systems, and
- globalization and education.
More informationVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Introduction to Teaching and Teacher Education
- Curriculum Theory
- Multicultural Education
- Cultural Knowledge of Teachers and Teaching
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesEducation Area & Cultural Studies View 421 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
- An official score for the Graduate Record Examinations General Test (GRE), unless otherwise specified by the graduate program to which the student is applying. International students whose native language is not English must also submit scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- Adequate subject preparation for the proposed major. Evidence of adequate preparation varies by program, but examples include letters of reference, auditions, samples of work, and personal statements
- A grade point average of at least 3.00 in upper-division (junior- and senior-level) coursework and in any graduate work already completed.
International18032 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9016 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
National18032 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9016 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
In-State9274 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4637 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.