The Creative Writing programme from the University of Birmingham will allow you to develop your own work, your own voice and your own ideas with dedicated workshop time and opportunities to give and receive feedback to and from your peers. You will also benefit from professional skills training to prepare you for entering the writing industry, with insights from industry professional such as editors and publishers.
The programme brings together students who are working in different genres so that you can engage collaboratively across genres before specialising in screenwriting, playwriting, fiction or poetry for your dissertation.
Over the past five years, over 96% of Creative Writing postgraduates were in work and/or further study six months after graduation. Postgraduates in the Department of Film and Creative Writing develop a range of skills including: the ability to lead and participate in discussions; critical thinking, and an appreciation of different theoretical contexts; the ability to develop opinions and new ideas; and an aptitude for thinking and working creatively with others.
While some graduates go on to careers in related industries - such as writing, media and television - others have used their transferable skills to pursue roles such as advertising, teaching, and in the heritage and cultural sectors.
More informationVisit official programme website
- The Writer's Workshop
- Creative Writing Masterclass: From Workshop to Bookshop
- Poem as Story - Story as Poem
- Intertextuality: Story, Genre, Craft
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesCreative Writing Liberal Arts Literature View 200 other Masters in Creative Writing in United Kingdom
- A 2:1 Honours degree, or equivalent, preferably in English and/or Creative Writing, but other disciplines will be considered.
- Applicants should also have considerable experience of writing creatively.
International19170 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19170 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- Part-time fees: UK/EU: 4,625 GBP per year
- Government-backed postgraduate loans are available to help UK and EU students to finance their studies. Loans are available of up to £10,906 for Masters by Research students and up to £25,700 for PhD students, in all subject areas.
- International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.