The Latin and Classical Humanities program of the University of Massachusetts Amherst offers coordinated study in educational theory and practice, Latin language and literature, methodology, and the development of middle- and high-school curricula in Latin and Classical Humanities. The core of the program is a series of seminars in which Classics faculty explore how the latest teaching trends and methodologies can best serve the needs and traditions of teaching Latin and Classical Humanities. These seminars give graduate students practical, hands-on experience in teaching, research, and developing teaching materials.
Students teach Latin at the University and at cooperating schools in western Massachusetts. They are thereby exposed to the full range of materials and methods for teaching Latin and Classical Humanities in middle and high schools. They also serve as teaching assistants in a University course in Greek civilization or Greek mythology. The department subsidizes memberships for students in classical associations and supports their attendance at annual meetings where they have opportunities to make presentations, share ideas with other teachers, and learn about the profession.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Elegy and Lyric
- Cicero’s Orations
- Plato’s Apology
- Ancient Greece
- Seminar: Teaching Greek Civilization
- Educational Psychology
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies View 901 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- A B.A. degree with a major in Latin or Classics (with at least four upper-level Latin courses), at least twelve credits in Classical Greek, and at least six credits in Greek and Roman history, and they must have earned a cumulative average of 3.0 or better in their major and of 2.75 or better in their overall undergraduate course of study.
- Submit at least two letters of recommendation from previous teachers and a well-considered statement indicating a genuine commitment to a career as a teacher of Latin and Classical Humanities in grades 5-12.
- Personal interviews are highly recommended.
- Scores of the Graduate Record Examination Aptitude Test (G.R.E.) are required by the University.
International20080 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10040 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
National20080 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10040 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
In-State9342 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4671 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.