The Religious Studies Department at the University of the West works closely with other departments, particularly Buddhist Chaplaincy and Psychology, providing a bridge between the study of religion—past, present, and future—and the problems of modern life.
Our faculty are involved in groundbreaking research projects, including the detailed study of ancient Buddhist texts and the study of Asian religions in the contemporary world.
- The Master of Arts in Religious Studies is a two-year, full-time degree program that allows students to gain a critical appreciation and understanding of different facets of religion. More specifically, it seeks to extend a student’s background in Buddhism and Buddhist Studies, with an emphasis on practical applications in the contemporary world.
- UWest offers three optional concentrations in its master’s degree program. First, students may specialize in Buddhist Texts & Translation. This concentration equips students with the canonical language skills and methodological approaches to translate and interpret key Buddhist texts.
- Second, students may select the concentration in Humanistic Buddhism. This emphasis develops
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Through our program, students acquire a deep understanding of the history and cultural impact of religious practices, ideas, outlooks, and concerns. Asian religious traditions, particularly Buddhism, provide the core focus of the program.
- The department is dedicated to open academic inquiry and religious diversity and committed to fostering an environment that furthers religious understanding between East and West.
- Students from all religious backgrounds are encouraged to bring their own unique and enriching perspective to the study of religion.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology View 579 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Application – Complete the UWest online application.
- Official Transcripts – Copies of transcripts from all universities you’ve attended. Transcripts must be sealed and sent directly from the school(s) to the Enrollment Office.
- Letters of Recommendation – Three letters of recommendation submitted directly from the references in a sealed envelope or from an e-mail with a professional domain. Academic letters of recommendation are highly encouraged. References may not be a relative of the applicant.
- Statement of Purpose.
- $100 Application fee – This is non-refundable and may be made by check or credit card. Please make checks out to University of the West.
- Diploma – Submit a copy of your most recently earned diploma.
- Identification – Copies of two forms of legal identification. Acceptable forms of identification include: passport, driver license, identification card, or social security card.
- Official documents
International11340 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5670 USD per semester during 12 months.
National11340 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5670 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Rosemead
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.