The curriculum for the M.S.Ed. Program in Recreation Education from The City University of New York includes three options:
- Option A: Recreation and Park Administration, which prepares individuals for supervisory and administrative roles in public, voluntary, and commercial recreation agencies.
- Option B: Therapeutic Recreation Service, which prepares individuals to deliver therapeutic recreation services in hospitals, nursing homes, day-treatment programs, and other institutional and community settings. Students who complete this option have met the therapeutic recreation option requirements for certification as a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist, administered by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification.
- Option C: Physical Education Teacher: This option is open ONLY to students who possess initial certification as a physical education teacher and are pursuing professional certification, for which this degree will qualify them, according to the NYS Education Department.
Departmental Retention Policy
Once admitted into one of the graduate programs, students must maintain a Grade Point Average of B. If a student's average falls below B, he or she will have one semester to bring the average up to the minimum standard. Failure to do so may result in dismissal from the program.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Recreation and Leisure in Modern Society
- Research Methods and Evaluation in Recreation
- Recreation Program Planning and Leadership
- Administrative Process in Recreation and Parks
- Community Recreation and Park Facilities
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Tourism & Leisure View 56 other Masters in Tourism & Leisure in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor's degree (or its equivalent) from an accredited college or university.
- Demonstrate the ability to successfully pursue graduate study. (Above-average academic achievement in general is required.)
- Two letters of recommendation.
- If conditionally admitted, make up not more than 12 credits of specified undergraduate coursework, starting in the first semester and finishing in no more than three consecutive semesters.
International855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
National855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
- Full-time - $5,545/semester
- Part-time - $470/credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.