Liberal Studies students at The City University of New York take a 12-credit core of Liberal Studies courses and 18 credits of graduate electives from various departments. The final requirement is to write a 6-credit master's thesis under the supervision of a faculty member, with the option of substituting a 3-credit capstone project and an additional elective.
The liberal studies program offers students the opportunity to design a course of study reflecting specific interest in a particular area of concentration. Students may take graduate courses as part of an individualized course of study, designed by the students themselves in consultation with a faculty committee, and suited to their own interests and professional needs. In some area of concentration, students should be prepared to meet basic foreign language requirements where appropriate.
Students may choose any graduate course offered by the following departments:
Earth, Environmental, and Geospatial Sciences
Journalism, Communication, and Theatre
Languages and Literatures
Latin American, Latino and Puerto Rican Studies
Mathematics and Computer Science
Physics and Astronomy
- The Arts and Humanities
- The Social Sciences
- Introduction to the Liberal Arts
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLiberal Arts View 196 other Masters in Liberal Arts in United States
- A bachelor's degree with at least a 3.0 grade point average or its foreign equivalent from an accredited college or university. In exceptional cases student with a cumulative undergraduate grade-point average below 3.0 may apply by special petition.
- Submission of an autobiographical letter.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Submission of a tentative course list related to the area intended to be pursued as a concentration.
International855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 855 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 855 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
- Local students: $5,545 / semester
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.