The TESOL and Applied Linguistics program is rooted in the intimate connection between research and practice in language learning and teaching. It melds linguistic, pedagogical, and contextual dimensions of classroom language learning, and emphasizes informed professionalism in the teacher's work.
The program aims to produce highly competent language teachers who know how language classrooms work and who understand the complex interrelationships among classroom teaching, second language acquisition, curriculum and program design, materials development, assessment, and teacher development.
Personalized career advising
Wherever you are on your path to discovering your ideal career, we have the expertise to help.
- The Career Development Center (CDC) is your go-to resource if you aren’t yet part of a specific Indiana University Bloomington school. Our exploration process provides you with support and guidance each step of the way—from beginning to think about your future to launching your career.
- If you are in the exploratory stage, we also encourage you to visit career centers for schools in which you have an interest, in addition to the CDC.
- Once you declare a major, you’ll work with the career center dedicated to your school for advising tailored to your academic discipline.
- Learn more about our recruiting policies for employers, including our disability disclosure guidance for students.
- Modern English Grammar
- Second Language Syntax
- English Phonology for Language Learning and Teaching
- Models of Second Language Acquisition
- Methods in Teaching ESL/EFL to Adults (TESOL)
- TESOL Practicum
- Language Testing
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPedagogy Linguistics Teaching English View 614 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Undergraduate grade record
- Level of achievement on the Graduate Record Examination General Test
- Three letters of recommendation
- Undergraduate exposure to linguistics and related course work
- Statement of purpose
- Curriculum vitae
International42445 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 42445 USD per year during 12 months.
National30690 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30690 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State10502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10502 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Bloomington
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.