About Theatre Arts at The University of Iowa
The graduate program in Theatre Arts, offered by The University of Iowa, is dedicated to creative development of theatre artists. Graduates have a solid background in major performance theories, dramatic literature, and practices of the past and present as well as in the craft of their chosen specialties.
Special attention is given to understanding the role and importance of live theatre in society. Interactions among the various theatre disciplines are emphasized, both in classes and through the department's extensive production program. Particular emphasis is placed on the development of new works for the theatre.
- The graduate program in theatre develops not only talent but discipline, self-confidence, and personal vision.
- Through their work in courses and productions, through teaching and production assistantships, and through the intensive, individual mentoring they receive from faculty, graduate students prepare themselves to contribute to the nation’s culture.
- They can then enter the profession, joining hundreds of other University of Iowa graduates who have made their mark in theatre, film, television, and the entertainment industry.
- Producing and Directing Digital Video
- Orientation to Graduate Studies
- Advanced Acting
- Vocal Technique
- Movement Technique
- Graphic Design for the Entertainment Industry
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Music Theatre & Dance View 799 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
- A U.S. bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, or an equivalent degree from another country as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- A minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00, or the foreign equivalent as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- English Proficiency Requirements
- Three letters of recommendation
- Two scripts: scripts should be full-length. One of the scripts may be either a long one-act or a screenplay, as long as the other script is a full-length play.
- A résumé of relevant academic, theatrical, and work experience
- A short personal statement detailing your personal, academic, and theatrical background, including your reasons for pursuing graduate study in playwriting and your professional goals.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
International29739 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29739 USD per year during 24 months.
National31012 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31012 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State12065 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12065 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.