Emphasis is placed on cross-disciplinary and cross-cultural approaches to biblical, ethical, and theological studies. The Sacred Theology program of Chicago Theological Seminary is ideal if you’re seeking additional academic preparation prior to pursuing a PhD program. It’s also perfect for Master of Divinity graduates and pastors on sabbatical who would benefit from one year of advanced academic study in an area of theological interest. You can also choose to complete one of two concentrations in the STM Program: LGBTQ Studies, and the Study of Black Faith & Life.
- STM graduates will have acquired advanced knowledge of and capacity to interpret and communicate a specific aspect of one or more theological/ethical and religious traditions.
- STM graduates will be able to think critically about theological/ethical and religious traditions.
- STM graduates will be able to complete graduate level academic research in religious studies.
Students will apply advanced knowledge of religious traditions appropriately in scholarly research.
Students will demonstrate ability to construct and develop a substantial and sophisticated scholarly argument in religious studies.
Students will demonstrate ability to think and write critically about religious traditions.
Students will demonstrate ability to integrate the study of religion, theology and ethics with at least one of the following:
- the study of the humanities or social sciences or
- significant contemporary social or political issues or
- practical engagement with a local congregation or community organization.
Students will demonstrate in-depth scholarly knowledge in a specific area relating to religious studies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- CTS offers a wide variety of courses designed to challenge, intrigue and form the next generation of religious leaders. Rigorously explore subjects such as biblical studies, interreligious engagement or race and gender issues. In addition to the courses offered by CTS, as a member of the Association of Chicago Theological Schools (ACTS), you have the opportunity to cross-register with eleven other member institutions in and around Chicago.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology View 563 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Applicants to the STM Program must have earned a Master of Divinity Degree (or first graduate theological degree providing equivalent theological background) and demonstrate aptitude for advanced theological study.
The STM application process includes:
- Official transcripts from all academic institutions attended.
- Four letters of reference – at least two must be academic, one may come from a pastor or other ministry professional, and one may come from a supervisor or friend.
- An autobiographical statement, as guided by the questions stated within the application form.
- A current resume.
- A two page statement of proposed focus of study, as guided by the application instructions.
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores are required of applicants for whom English is not a first language.
International20817 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 20817 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National20817 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 20817 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.