Culminating with a Master’s Thesis, the Religious Studies program of the Chicago Theological Seminary allows you to focus theological study in an area of personal interest. This is an appropriate degree if you are preparing for further study at the doctoral level; seeking advanced theological study as a foundation for service; or simply wish to study theology and religion without the aim of entering professional ministry.
- MA graduates will have acquired foundational knowledge of and the capacity to interpret and communicate religious traditions.
- MA graduates will be able to think critically about religious traditions.
- MA graduates will be able to complete graduate level academic research in religious studies.
- Students will apply foundational knowledge of religious traditions appropriately in scholarly research.
- Students will demonstrate ability to construct and develop a substantial scholarly argument in religious studies.
- Students will demonstrate ability to think and write critically about religious traditions.
- Students will demonstrate in-depth scholarly knowledge in a specific area relating to religious studies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- CTS offers a wide variety of courses designed to challenge, intrigue and form the next generation of religious leaders. Rigorously explore subjects such as biblical studies, interreligious engagement or race and gender issues. In addition to the courses offered by CTS, as a member of the Association of Chicago Theological Schools (ACTS), you have the opportunity to cross-register with eleven other member institutions in and around Chicago.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology View 120 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Applicants must have successfully completed a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. It is to the applicant’s advantage to have well developed written and oral communication skills, strong academic references, good critical thinking skills, and coursework in the area of humanities. GRE scores are not required.
The MA application process includes:
- Official transcripts from all academic institutions attended.
- Four letters of reference – at least two must be academic, one may come from a pastor or other ministry professional, and one may come from a supervisor or friend.
- Written materials, including an autobiographical statement, as directed for each degree program.
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores are required of applicants for whom English is not a first language.
International20817 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 20817 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National20817 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 20817 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.