The heart of the Philosophy, Cosmology, and Consciousness program at California Institute of Integral Studies is its focus on knowledge that is transformative—of ourselves and of our civilization. PCC attracts intellectually engaged individuals who are to varying degrees dismayed by what they see happening in modern societies and who are striving to find meaningful ways to develop their gifts to serve the future of the world.
Inspired by Alfred North Whitehead's view that the function of the university is to enable the future to appear first in conceptual thought, our faculty and graduate students hold in mind three fundamental goals:
- To open our consciousness, through learning and imagination, to those creative and evolutionary energies suffusing the earth, the universe, and the deep psyche, so that we are able to participate fully in the regeneration of human communities and their enveloping life systems.
- To analyze the current devastation of planetary life and to strive to liberate ourselves and our communities from the underlying causes of alienation, consumerism, militarism, androcentrism, racism, and unsustainable modes of life.
- To draw from the deep wells of philosophical and religious wisdom together with other scholarly and scientific insights in order to bring forth a profound vision of a vibrant planetary era.
Our Philosophy, Cosmology, and Consciousness program at California Institute of Integral Studies is committed to shaping the leadership necessary for profound, progressive transformation of social institutions and individual consciousness.
Drawing upon some of the most powerful ideas of Western intellectual and spiritual traditions, together with insights from Asian spiritual philosophies and indigenous worldviews, our faculty has constructed a multidisciplinary course of study to help accelerate each student's journey into their particular leadership role within this work.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Cosmological Powers
- Cosmology of Literature
- Synchronicity and Its Implications
- Asian Spiritual Masters
- Plato and Platonism
- Christian Contemplative Traditions: History, Theology, Practice, and Theory
- Merleau-Ponty: The Body and the Earth
- Epic of the Universe
- The Alchemy of Permaculture
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- 3rd application deadline: pending program space availability (after the Feb 15th priority deadline).
DisciplinesAstronomy & Space Sciences Philosophy & Ethics View 57 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in United States
Complete the Online Admissions Application and Submit the Application Fee
Submit Your Supporting Materials
Submit Your Official Transcripts
Minimum GPA: A GPA of 3.0 or higher in previous coursework is required. However, a GPA below 3.0 does not automatically disqualify an applicant and CIIS will consider a prospective student whose GPA is between 2.0 and 3.0. These individuals are required to submit a GPA Statement and are encouraged to contact the Office of Admissions to discuss their options.
International22356 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1242 USD per credit during 24 months.
National22356 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1242 USD per credit during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.