On the Secondary Education (QTS) - History programme from University of Birmingham , you will be challenged to develop informed and justified decisions about how you approach your teaching, in order to enable you to continue to develop over your career.
You will also benefit from our unique collaboration with the University of Birmingham School as well as a wide range of partner schools, including mixed comprehensive, single sex, religious and selective schools and sixth form colleges. The diverse communities we serve will enrich your experience on the PGDipEd History programme.
The PGDipEd (QTS) Secondary History is also offered as a School Direct programme with Lordswood Girls’ School, St Paul’s Caritas Christi, Windsor Academy Trust and Wood Green ITT Alliance.
We are committed to the idea that teaching is more than simple craft knowledge; it is the synthesis of theories about learning and hands on experience in the classroom. Teachers equipped with this will be able to reflect on their experiences and develop as teachers throughout their careers. On successful completion of your PGDipEd, you may return to study with us on a part-time basis to complete your Masters in Teaching Studies.
Many local schools have a high regard for History Postgraduate Diploma Secondary Education students from the University of Birmingham. Consequently we have former students in departments throughout the area. Many local schools contact us directly when they are seeking an early career teacher to employ. Many of our ex-students are now becoming Heads of History and many of the mentors in our partnership schools are ex students.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The programme will include the study of subject-based teaching methods as well as the study of broader whole school issues.
- A variety of teaching styles and approaches to learning will be used in the presentation of the themes.
- These include University-based lectures, small group seminars and workshops, school-based work with pupils and teachers, and work undertaken individually or with other groups of students.
- On the PGDipEd History course, you will teach classes in Key Stage 3 and 4 as well as post-16, and learn to select the most effective teaching methods. Our sessions model different teaching methods so you will experience the methods you can use.
- Our close links with history departments in schools means we are not only able to use the 30 years of teaching experience of the tutors but get teachers in to talk about their experience of teaching too.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 9 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesHistory Teaching Secondary Education View 625 other Masters in History in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- All applicants to the Secondary PGDipEd(QTS) History course must hold a degree from a UK Higher Education Institution or an equivalent qualification. This will normally be a minimum 2:2 classification and this will be a condition of any offer where the degree has not already been awarded.
- To apply for our course you normally need 50% of your degree to be history or a closely related subject. For example; Politics, International Relations, Archaeology, Economics, American and Canadian Studies and Art History are acceptable subjects.
- Additionally, you must have a GCSE in Mathematics and English (Grade 4 or above) or an equivalent qualification which must be obtained before making the application.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International21150 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21150 GBP per year during 9 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 9 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.