Graduates of the program often go on to PhD level study and become independent scientists. The flexible curriculum provides a broad background in the field while allowing customized emphasis on laboratory genetics or genetic data analysis.
In addition to core coursework and advanced classes in a chosen area of concentration, MS students pursue mentored research projects culminating in the production and defense of a thesis
Students in the Human Genetics, at the University of Pittsburgh, interested in laboratory genetics will carry out research projects performing benchtop experimental studies in laboratories within the department or across the Schools of the Health Sciences. Students can further customize their training by choosing among many elective courses in human genetics, cell biology and molecular physiology, cellular and molecular pathology, immunology, molecular genetics and developmental biology, molecular pharmacology, and molecular virology and microbiology.
Genetic Data Analysis
- Students interested in genetic data analysis will carry out applied analysis or methodological research projects related to clinical or epidemiological studies.
- Students will work as members of statistical and computational research groups within the department or across the schools of the health sciences.
- Students can further customize their training by choosing advanced coursework in human genetics, biostatistics, biomedical informatics, computational and systems biology, and epidemiology.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Bioinformatic Resources For Geneticists
- Scientific Writing In Human Genetics
- Special Studies
- Human Population Genetics
- Human Genetics
- Special Studies Human Genetics
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply before , National
- Deadline passed, International
DisciplinesPublic Health Genetics View 170 other Masters in Genetics in United States
- Applications for admission to the Department of Human Genetics are processed through the Office of Student Affairs at Pitt Public Health.
- You must apply for the MS human genetics, MPH, and PhD programs through SOPHAS, the centralized application service for graduate schools of public health.
- Applications for the MS in Genetic Counseling Program and MS in Genetic Counseling/MPH in Public Health Genetics dual degree program must be submitted through SOPHAS Express.
- Please note, SOPHAS submits applications to Pitt Public Health only after all required materials are received. Applicants who have submitted applications may track their status online.
International46814 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 46814 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National46814 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 46814 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State27590 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 27590 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.