We are also the only MFA program in the country to offer both an on-the-ground full-residency program and a low-residency program as well as the ability to easily move between the two programs.
Our alumni have gone on to publish and teach; many are also pioneers and leaders in arts programs that work to foster creativity and social justice. Our program continues to be inspired by the work of Chatham alumna, Rachel Carson, a creative writer whose work demonstrates both lyricism and social conscience.
The Words Without Walls program, in which MFA students go into the Allegheny County Jail to teach inmates creative writing, is only one of several social outreach programs developed and run by Chatham MFA students that offer transformative experiences for both students and an underserved population. At Chatham, community service is not just something you do outside of your graduate program, it's built into the core of the program. Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing is offered by Chatham University.
As part of our innovative creative writing field seminars, MFA students travel with faculty abroad. Recent trips have included Indonesia, Ireland, Chile, and South Africa, as well as continental trips to New Orleans and Canada. Program tuition goes toward these trips, making them affordable for most students. More importantly, the trips are transformative for our students, whose writing becomes sharper and more nuanced when in an unfamiliar environment.
- The Craft of Creative Writing: Multiple Genres
- The Craft of Fiction
- The Craft of Nonfiction
- The Craft of Poetry
- The Craft of Writing for Children
- Readings in Poetry
- Readings in Prose
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCreative Writing View 275 other Masters in Creative Writing in United States
- Have a completed baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university, with an overall undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale.
- Complete application for admission, including:
- Online application
- Curriculum vita or resume
- Two official letters of recommendation, preferably written by former writing teachers or professors who know your writing
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Creative writing sample in your primary genre ranging from 10-20 pages (maximum). It can be one creative work or several pieces combined. Please provide on standard 8 ½ x 11 paper.
International1017 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1017 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National1017 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1017 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.