For students arriving with a bachelor's degree, the first year the program involves graduate coursework that is relatively structured. Students work on completing their course requirements and a master's thesis. After successfully completing a MA degree, students are typically advanced to the Ph.D. portion of the graduate program. At the Ph.D. level, training is less structured and increasingly focused on the dissertation research. Students typically work as either a teaching assistant, research assistant, or teaching associate during their graduate studies.
MA Portion of The Ph.D. Program
The Sociology at the University of Washington is designed primarily as preparation for Ph.D. work; it is not a terminal degree, although it may serve as good training for non-academic research. The MA program consists of three elements:
- Substantive training: coursework in substantive areas and social theory
- Methodological training: work in social statistics and general social science methodologies
- The Master's Thesis: independent empirical research conducted under the supervision of the MA Committee.
- Statistical Concepts And Methods For The Social Sciences
- Sociology Of Sport
- Social Psychology
- African American Family
- Introduction To The Sociology Of Deviance And Social Control
- Foundations Of Social Inquiry
- Sociological Theory
- The Family In Cross-cultural Perspective
- Women In The Social Structure
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work Sociology View 542 other Masters in Social Work in United States
- Electronic Application and $85 Application Fee.
- Statement of Purpose
- GRE scores
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Letters of Recommendation
- Writing Sample
- Unofficial Transcripts
- TOEFL English Language Proficiency Scores Are REQUIRED for ALL International Applicants (non-US citizens), and Non-Native English Speakers
International31530 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31530 USD per year during 12 months.
National31530 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31530 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State18057 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18057 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Seattle
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.