We are collaborative, working in partnership with individuals, groups, and organizations to advance artistic excellence in our region and in our world. We are leaders and innovators, improvisers and inventors, composers and scholars, curators of the musical past, engineers of the present and future.
At the UW School of Music we explore a diverse anthology of musical opportunities. Our work in scholarship and performance advances and broadens the educational mission of this outstanding public university. We share with our students, our audiences and our communities the enriching properties that are the hallmark of all great art. We do this in the way we know best—by making and enjoying great music. The Ethnomusicology program is offered by University of Washington.
From the Director
The School of Music is a vital part of the artistic and scholarly life of the University of Washington and plays a prominent role in the Seattle and greater Pacific Northwest music and art communities. With well over 100 concerts each year of music spanning more than a millennium of time and extending across the cultural globe, with daily seminars and lectures covering the same spans of time and place, the School of Music and its faculty and students are central to fabric of the University.
The School's mission is multifaceted, represented by faculty and students from all walks of life and from many different genres of performance, composition, and scholarship. We are, however, unified by our abiding belief in the universal power of musical experience and a steadfast passion for conveying all that is musical to each of our students, be they music majors or current and future members of the audience.
Our mission is a continuum from the curatorial preservation of music already in existence to the creation of the most experimental new music. This continuum is in evidence through performances by our faculty and students in venues around the world, through the research discoveries that are published in major books and articles, and in the highly esteemed recordings of music played by our performers and created by our composers.
As you navigate around our web site, you’ll see many examples of the above. Take a look at our concert calendar, our faculty biographies, and the activities of our current students. You’ll find a School emanating a deep enthusiasm for music, for learning, and for service world-wide.
- Students entering the M.A. program in Ethnomusicology are expected to have or acquire skills equivalent to at least one year of core music history and one year of music theory and ear training.
- M.A. students should also have the equivalent or make up the following undergraduate requirement: an approved survey ofcultural anthropology.
- The following guide serves as a typical program of study upon which the Supervisory Committee develops each graduate student's particular program of study. It is the responsibility of the Supervisory Committee to assure an appropriate program of study for each student; it is within the committee's purview to require additional courses that are not listed below, to substitute particular courses for others listed below, and to tailor the program to the needs of the student.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic View 1111 other Masters in Music in United States
- Hold the minimum equivalent of a four-year baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S.1 or its equivalent from a foreign institution2 or a Bologna bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 180 European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) credits.
- All students confirming enrollment must provide an official (sealed) transcript and degree statement (with date of award & title of degree awarded) for verification to Graduate Enrollment Management Services (GEMS).
- Have earned at least a 3.0 grade-point-average (on a 4 point scale) from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S.1 or its equivalent from a foreign institution
International18978 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9489 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National10588 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5294 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.