With its focused thesis development process, the Graphic Design program of Academy of Art University emphasizes advanced study of the field and encourages students to extend their design skills into content creation, authorship, entrepreneurialism, and social innovation.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
Critical & Creative Thinking
- Conduct appropriate research to identify problems and potential solutions
- Demonstrate the resourcefulness and flexibility necessary to conceive and execute design solutions
- Create compelling and engaging visual communications that convey appropriate messages and ideas
- Address problems through a design process
- Create visual communications demonstrating competent formal design skills which include: hierarchy, typography, aesthetics, composition and construction of meaningful images
- Demonstrate competence in media, materials, tools, technology, and techniques
- Effectively present and communicate ideas
- Demonstrate the skills necessary for chosen career path through the presentation of a cohesive body of work.
Academy of Art University is recognized for graduating students ready to pursue a professional graphic design career. The School of Graphic Design is proud to produce alumni who are thriving at leading design firms, marketing agencies, and innovative companies. Our students are not only prepared to enter the workforce—they are ready to excel and raise the bar within the vibrant design community.
Graphic designers work within companies and institutions of all kinds, as well as in advertising and design studios, large and small. Graphic designers work on a wide range of projects which includes branding, editorial, interactive, environmental, advertising, and information design. Although the designer’s role will vary by organization it will always be tasked with producing creative, effective, and elegant graphic solutions, both print and digital.
As a creative director, you'll work with copywriters, designers, and creative directors to produce creative solutions which meet branding objectives, while setting a high bar for creativity within your organization. You'll be responsible for setting and presenting high-level vision for projects and managing teams to achieve brand and client success.
User Experience (UX) Designer
UX designers work with product designers and visual designers as well as front-end developers, and clients to create interactive experiences that resonate with users. They document and present UX ideas and solutions to team members and clients. UX designers utilize research methods and user testing to architect the structure and navigation flow of digital products such as apps and websites and other interactive experiences.
Visual designers apply their technical knowledge and design skills to create interactive products of all kinds. By integrating type, layout, color and iconography visual designers influence the users emotions and drive action through the use of motion, language and aesthetics. Visual designers work in teams with UX designers and front-end developers to create smooth usability and functionality while creating design systems that ensure a consistency of brand experience.
Product designers use UX design tools and methods along with type, color, layout and motion, design and iconography systems to create interactive experiences that resonate with users. Product designers integrate and cross between the role of UX and Visual designer depending on their role in an organization. They work with front-end developers and are responsible for all (or part) of the usability, functionality and visual design of a digital product such as an app, website or social media platform.
Service designers work within and for a range of organizations including governments and multinational companies. Service designers build efficiency and translate brand values through to the user experience for many kinds of products and organizations. Using tools and methods from ethnography, information management and interaction design Service designers analyze, map and re-organize systems which they then document and present to stakeholders and clients.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- History of Graphic Design
- Making Ideas Visible
- Type Forms
- Anthropology: Experiencing Culture
- Visual Literacy
- Type Composition
- 42 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesGraphic Design View 99 other Masters in Graphic Design in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- College transcripts must show the classes/subjects, grades, credits and number of hours completed for each class
- Applicants and sponsors must complete the Affidavit of Support Form
- An art portfolio in your chosen discipline is required with detailed descriptions for all international graduate school applicants
- An official bank letter (from student. family/parents/sponsor) must show a minimum balance of $42,000 USD or equivalent
- We do not require TOEFL or IELTS scores and do not have a minimum score requirement
- Photocopy of your valid passport
- Photocopy of your 1-20, 1-94, or other visa document
- If your transcripts are not in English. they must be translated and notarized
International30625 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1191 USD per credit during 42 months.
National29237 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1137 USD per credit during 42 months.
Living costs for San Francisco
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.