In a rigorous course of study and with an emphasis on the creative process, award-winning writers work closely with students to support and inspire emerging craft and voice. Students create a quality portfolio of fiction, nonfiction or poetry, reflecting their unique styles and forms of expression.
Each semester in the program begins with a 10-day residency where the students and faculty gather for workshops, craft talks, classes, panels, and readings. The residencies initiate a literary conversation that extends throughout the semester of guided study when the student and faculty advisor exchange packets about the student’s writing and reading, and anything else that attends them. At the same time, the MFA faculty advisor is hard at work on his or her own writing, and every exchange with a student is touched by mutual goals.
The Writing program of Pacific University Oregon offers a high level of craft and conversation along with the good humor and community of individuals who share a passion for art. We value and promote equity and inclusion. The talents, skills and perspectives of our individual members together create a culture of belonging, collaboration, discovery and respect. We believe in inspiration but also in revision. We believe there is no one way to write and no right way to write. Above all, we believe in quality and originality in any guise.
Pacific’s Master of Fine Arts in Writing program presents learning in its truest sense, meaning, simply, that we are all in this together.
- Residency review
- Creative work in one’s genre (or, during the second semester, in a second genre if approved by the Academic Board)
- A bibliography of approximately 20 works
- Reading commentaries on 10-15 works, at the discretion of the advisor
- Written midterm and semester assessments
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesCreative Writing View 388 other Masters in Creative Writing in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Application Form
- Creative manuscript — Submit work in the genre you wish to study.
- Personal essay — Maximum of three pages
- Critical analysis — Submit a critical essay that explores some aspect or element of craft in a literary work in the genre you wish to study
- Two letters of reference
- Application fee — A non-refundable fee of $50 is required for an application in one genre. A non-refundable fee of $75 is required for an application in two genres.
- Pacific University is certified as a Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) school, meaning that a Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status,” can be issued to international students enrolled in Pacific's low-residency MFA program.
- Admitted international students will be issued an I-20 that is valid for the length of the residency, plus travel time.
International19660 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19660 USD per year during 24 months.
National19660 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19660 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Forest Grove
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.