The Public Policy and Development program from Paris School of Economics is a two-year research-based training program. It prepares students to become experts in designing, analyzing and evaluating public policies in both developed and developing countries. It combines rigorous training in analytical and quantitative economic methods with an emphasis on both policy and practice.
The PPD Master provides a solid foundation for progressing into the PhD program at PSE or elsewhere. If you do not wish to go to a doctorate, the PPD Master provides advanced quantitative skills required for a professional economist in the public or the private sector.
The PPD Master puts a strong emphasis on quantitative methods: measurement, econometrics, quantitative evaluation of policies. This is a full-time program, which is very demanding in terms of personal workload. The pedagogy relies not only on courses but also on tutorials, team projects and individual guidance during office hours. The MI year ends with a two-month internship. During the M2, students follow advanced specialization courses and write a dissertation under the supervision of a faculty member. The program is akin to the system that is in place in most US universities, where the first two years of PhD program are devoted to course work (and the admission into the third year is conditional on successful performance in the first two years).
Half of PPD students go on into a PhD program, mostly at PSE. You are encouraged to do so if you are interested by a career in academia or if you plan to get a non-academic positions for which PhD is a prerequisite. At PSE, there is no direct admission into the Doctoral training. This is the same system as in most US universities, where the first two years of PhD program are devoted to course work (and the admission into the third year is conditional on successful performance on the first two years). Thus, one can think of admissions to PSE master’s in the same way as admissions to the course-work years of a standard US-university-based PhD program.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The M1 puts a strong emphasis on quantitative methods, which encompass more than 120 hours of courses and tutorials plus 36 hours devoted to year-long projects. Students learn through projects and teamwork under the guidance of PSE professors and teaching assistants. Each tutorial and project requires many hours of studying at home.
- The second-year M2 offers in-depth and applied courses covering the most important policy issues at both, national and global levels and the state-of-the-art best practices of policy evaluation and econometrics.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
Apply by March 7
DisciplinesEconomics Public Policy View 64 other Masters in Economics in France
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor’s degree in economics, with good knowledge of micro, macro and econometrics. We are very interested with Bachelors in other fields, but you must show that you have the skills to take technical lectures in economics.
- A strong level in mathematics. The required level of mathematics corresponds to appendices B and C of the book: “Introductory Econometrics” of J. Wooldridge. These appendices include some exercises that you are strongly advised to try before applying.
- Upon admission, you will be required to validate your knowledge in Statistics and Microeconomics using an online platform, Didask. This online platform provides tests and exercises meant to refresh your memory before school starts.
International3770 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3770 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA350 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 350 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Paris
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.