In our state of the art facility, the funded 2-year Ceramic Art program at Alfred University is embedded in an intensive learning community where teaching and leadership meet research through critical making and rigorous critique. Experimental and encompassing curriculum represents all genres that reside in or move through various realms of ceramic art. Consistently ranked number one by US News and World Report, the objective of the Master of Fine Arts (MFA) degree is to prepare individuals for creative careers in the arts and culture.
This two-year, highly competitive program accepts eight Ceramic Art students annually. Each accepted MFA candidate is given full tuition funding and a financial stipend, for an assistantship teaching or interning within the School of Art and Design.
The Ceramic Art program embraces all aspects of ceramic art, encompassing all approaches whether established or emerging. At Alfred we welcome creative research in functional pottery form, design, the vessel, object-based sculpture, the figure, architectural applications, installation and performance.
Intensive Research: Rigorous Critique
The graduate program in the Division of Ceramic Art is an intense studio-based experience that stresses the development of concepts through making; the faculty aim to provide the highest caliber of education for students whose talents and aspirations are primed to flourish. The launch of the students’ emergence into the professional art community is the thesis exhibition and articulated defense of the work’s premise.
- Advanced Ceramics
- Ceramic Materials I: Clay Bodies and Glazes
- Ceramic Materials II: Problem-solving for the ceramic artist
- Kiln Procedures and Construction
- 3D Modeling & Rapid Prototyping
- Tools and Strategies: Digital Tools and Fabrication
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLiberal Arts View 813 other Masters in Liberal Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants for admission should hold the baccalaureate degree with the equivalent of sixty credit hours in studio courses. A portfolio of completed works could be considered the equivalent of some studio courses.
- In addition to the transcripts and letters of recommendation required of all students, applicants to the MFA program must present a portfolio showing competency in their art practice. When submitting the portfolio to Slideroom be sure to indicate the program for which you are applying and provide appropriate portfolio.
- Accepted applicants must make a $200 deposit and return a signed contract as directed in the notification of acceptance or their acceptance becomes void.
International22520 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22520 USD per year during 24 months.
National22520 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22520 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Hornell
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.