Our location as a border institution in South Texas and the available resources (such as our numerous, established faculty in the fields of Mexican American studies and Chicana/o studies, and other academic resources, such as our growing Mexican American Studies program, and other institutional resources, such as the border studies archive) makes this an exciting program for UTRGV students.
Many careers today in South Texas and nationally – including those in Education, Health, Social Services, Communication, Law, Humanities, among others – require students to have a specialized knowledge of the Mexican American community and experiences, due to regional and national demographic trends.
The MAS concentration in MAIS will strengthen your competitiveness in the job market in various fields. The MAIS in MAS program will lead to continued and increased student placement in PhD programs in various fields, including in Chicana/o Studies, English, American Studies, Spanish, Education, among other programs, both state-wide and nationally.
Ultimately, the interdisciplinary nature and culturally relevant curriculum of the MAIS in MAS program offers exciting, rich, and unique opportunities for UTRGV students and faculty engaged in research, experiential learning, and community engagement related to Latina/o communities in South Texas and nationally.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Research Methods in Mexican American Studies
- Anthropology of Borders
- Mexican American Culture
- Music Ethnography and Fieldwork Methods
- Mexican American Folk Medicine
- Mexican American Folklore
- Art History Seminar III: Topics in Latin American Art Prior to A.D. 1521
- Art History Seminar IV: Topics in Latin American Art Since A.D. 1521
- Media, Race, and Ethnicity
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies View 398 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or a recognized international equivalent in a similar or related field.
- Undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0.
- Official transcripts from each institution attended (must be submitted directly to UTRGV).
- Personal statement detailing professional goals and reasons for pursuing the graduate degree.
- Two letters of recommendation from professional or academic sources.
- GRE General Test. GRE test scores are valid for 5 years. A waiver of the GRE requirement will be granted to applicants who show proof of completing a graduate degree (master’s or doctoral).
International31796 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15898 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
National15196 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7598 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.