Students in the Music program at California State University East Bay are given the opportunity to increase their musicianship, critical skills, and professional insights in preparation for careers in performing, teaching, composing and arranging, administration, and research. It also offers opportunities for current school and college music teachers to increase their professional effectiveness and provides prospective doctoral aspirants with a sound foundation for advanced graduate study.
Students take core courses in graduate-level music theory, history, education, and research, and choose elective courses in an area of emphasis that support their artistic, creative and professional goals. Areas of emphasis include: choral studies, composition, jazz studies, music education, music history, music theory, and performance. All emphases require a culminating recital, creative project, or master’s thesis.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students graduating with an M.A. in Music from Cal State East Bay will be able to:
- Demonstrate mastery of core skills within their primary area of emphasis, i.e. performance, composition, research, analysis, conducting, or teaching;
- Apply critical and creative thinking and analytical reasoning to address complex challenges in music creation, performance, and research;
- Work collaboratively and respectfully with other musicians in a performance context; and
- Integrate musical ideas, methods, theory, and practice, and communicate them to others clearly and persuasively, in classroom and performance settings.
- Research Methodology
- Analysis of Musical Styles
- Music of the Twentieth & Twenty-First Centuries
- Asian Music and Culture
- Teaching Music in Higher Education
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesMusic Musicology View 1117 other Masters in Music in United States
- If you were educated outside of the U.S., you must have earned a degree equivalent to a 4-year U.S. Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution. An official determination of eligibility will be made during the application process.
- English language proficiency
- Statement of Purpose
- CV / Resume
- Letters of Recommendation
International15557 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15557 USD per year during 24 months.
National15557 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15557 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State8429 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8429 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Hayward
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.