Solar energy technology use is expanding rapidly. The Solar Photovoltaic (PV) sector is the largest and fastest growing renewable energy employer worldwide with an increasing need for experts that can support this growth.
In the Solar Energy Engineering MicroMasters Program from Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) - DelftX you will gain the knowledge and skills needed to pursue a career in the solar energy field and become a successful solar energy professional.
This program will teach you what is expected from solar experts, and will prepare you for employment in various capacities including:
- Systems design and engineering
- Solar systems installation
- Device fabrication and characterization
- QA and reliability testing
- Project management and consultancy as well as (technical) sales
The program includes diverse learning activities, including videos, readings, exercises and real-world applications. You will be guided through the content in an inspiring, hands-on, but rigorous manner. It is designed so knowledge is built gradually. We therefore recommend that students follow the courses in the suggested order. However, you may choose to enroll in any course of your choice based on your background knowledge or experience.
- Solar energy adoption is growing at a surprisingly fast rate with predicted falling costs and new technologies resulting in solar generating 20% of electricity by 2027 (Research Policy, 2016)
- Solar photovoltaic was the largest renewable energy employer with 2.8 million jobs in 2015, an 11% increase over the previous year (IREA, 2016)
- Job opportunities include engineering and consultancy roles at renewable energy companies, specialized solar engineering companies, leading consultancy firms, oil and gas companies that are preparing for the transition to renewables, and non-profit orgs
- Estimated annual salary of engineers working in the solar energy industry amounts to $85,000 (USA Department of Labor).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
What You'll Learn:
- The physics of and how to model all aspects of a working solar cell: performance, efficiency limits and design rules.
- Design concepts and fabrication processes of various photovoltaic (PV) technologies and applications.
- How to evaluate components of a PV system: PV modules, inverters, DC-DC converters, batteries, charge controllers and cables.
- Application techniques for designing a PV system ranging from a residential rooftop system to a utility scale solar farm.
- Design concepts of microgrids that include PV systems.
- How to assess the economics and ecology of PV systems and communicate these accordingly.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 63 days
- 9 hrs/week
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering Energy & Power Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 6 other Masters in Environmental Engineering in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International1125 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1125 USD for the full programme and a duration of 63 days.
National1125 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1125 USD for the full programme and a duration of 63 days.
5% discount coupon: Z7LZNQ4TN3B2JTWU valid for any free course + certificate upgrade
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.