At Wilkes, we focus on the craft and business of writing. We do this in a mentoring atmosphere that embraces one-on-one guidance while immersing you in a community of working writers.
Choose from two convenient formats:
- Low-residency: online with eight-day campus residencies in January and June. Learn more about our residencies.
- Weekender: online with four weekend sessions per semester.
Face-to-face components give you the opportunity to share ideas and interact with your colleagues, faculty and guest lecturers. Your semester coursework is conveniently conducted online so you can connect with your faculty and classmates from anywhere. Our cohort format creates a strong bond among peers – relationships that last a lifetime. Some of our graduates still participate in writing retreats with their cohort, well beyond graduation.
Mission and Vision
The mission of the Creative Writing program of Wilkes University is to educate our students in the craft, life, and business practices of seven areas of study — fiction, poetry, screenwriting, playwriting, creative nonfiction, publishing and making documentary films — through a commitment to excellent mentorships, publishing opportunities, and industry-specific internships. Our vision is to offer a nationally recognized and widely reputed graduate creative writing program where students and faculty find the writing support, community, and market opportunities to become lifelong, productive, professional writers in all fields.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Writing in Education/Publishing
Writing Creative Non-Fiction
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Spring: Dec. 1 if applying for graduate assistantship
- Summer: May 1 if applying for graduate assistantship
DisciplinesCreative Writing View 270 other Masters in Creative Writing in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed online application
- $35 non-refundable application fee
- Official transcript of all college work, undergraduate and graduate
- Creative writing sample. Submit 15 to 25 pages of published and/or unpublished work in any form or genre; work should give a sense of the applicant's creative abilities.
- Essay. In five to 10 pages
- A current resume that cites creative work, study and accomplishment
- To be considered for a graduate assistantship, please also submit two letters of recommendation
International714 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 714 USD per credit during 12 months.
National714 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 714 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Wilkes Barre
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.