Based on the International Literacy Association (ILA) Standards for Reading Professionals, this program will help prepare you for a wide range of literacy positions, including literacy coach, reading teacher, and/or literacy specialist.
We offer a master degree in Literacy Education at the University of Central Missouri. Additional courses may be required for the K-12 Special Reading Certificate following a DESE transcript analysis of undergraduate work. Enhances your opportunities to contribute to professional publications and presentations in the field of literacy education.
Student Learning Outcomes
You will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the MSE in Literacy Education program to:
- Demonstrate expertise in the theoretical and evidence-based foundations of reading and writing processes and instruction.
- Foster the use of instructional approaches, materials and an integrated, comprehensive, balanced curriculum to support learning in reading and writing.
- Be responsible for managing and monitoring a variety of assessment tools and practices to plan and evaluate effective reading and writing instruction.
- Model, create and engage students in literacy practices that develop awareness, understanding, respect, and a valuing of differences in our society.
- Create a literate environment that fosters reading and writing by integrating foundational knowledge, instructional practices, approaches and methods, curriculum materials, and the appropriate use of assessments.
- Demonstrate a commitment to professional development as a career-long effort and responsibility.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Content Area Literacy
- Methods and Materials for Literacy Enhancement
- Assessment of Literacy Development
- Advanced Language Arts Methods: Culture and Communication
- Language Development in the Literacy Program
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEducation Literature View 3530 other Masters in Education in United States
- Have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited or National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education institution with a minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.5
- Submit proof of teacher certification or provide a professional endorsement from any of the 50 states or territories
- Submit a copy of a recent summative teaching evaluation (i.e., a PBTE or similar evaluation form), or a letter from a school superintendent, principal, or professor attesting to teaching abilities and graduate school potential
- Submit an application for admission (including submission of official undergraduate transcripts)
International627 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 627 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National627 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 627 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
In-State313 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 313 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.