Students in the Chemistry and Biochemistry program of University of Massachusetts Dartmouth gain broad knowledge of the field and the university has particular expertise in biotechnology and environmental chemistry. You may choose to specialize in:
- analytical chemistry
- computational chemistry
- inorganic chemistry
- marine chemistry
- organic chemistry
- physical chemistry
You have three tracks to pursue your Master’s degree. You must complete a minimum of 30 credit hours, with a minimum grade point average of 3.00.
- The Research Thesis option is designed for full-time students who wish to continue their PhD graduate education, or who want to pursue an R&D or secondary education career. Graduate assistantships are available for students in this track. The thesis program requires at least 18 credits of formal lecture or lecture/laboratory courses, with the remaining 12 credits dedicated to research leading to a written thesis. Students also must register for a graduate seminar each semester they are in residence, and present a seminar to the department each year. At the end of the student’s studies, the thesis is defended in an oral examination.
- The Research Project is a non-thesis option intended primarily for working students pursuing the master’s degree part time. Students complete at least 30 credits of formal course work and a short project (5 hours) in the laboratory. A graduate seminar is required. These students are not eligible for assistantships.
- Library Research Project is a non-thesis option intended primarily for working students pursuing the master’s degree part time. Students complete at least 30 hours of formal course work and a short project (5 hours) in the library. A graduate seminar is required. These students are not eligible for assistantships.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Principles of Modern Chemistry
- Principles of Inorganic Chemistry
- Food Chemistry
- Special Topics in Chemistry
- Advanced Protein Chemistry
- Quantum Chemistry
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemistry Biochemistry View 439 other Masters in Chemistry in United States
- Statement of purpose: 300 - 600 words. Indicate your graduate study objectives, research interests and experience, and business or industry experience if applicable. If you are applying for a teaching or research assistantship, include any special skills or experience that would assist in assistantship decisions
- Official transcripts: from all post-secondary institutions attended (regardless if a credential is earned or not). Transcripts should show class rank if available
- Official GRE score: sent directly from ETS; copies/scans not accepted
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Official TOEFL or IELTS scores sent directly from ETS or testing agency; copies/scans not accepted
International22183 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22183 USD per year during 12 months.
National22183 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22183 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12292 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12292 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.