MPH Program Foundational Knowledge Learning Objectives
Profession and Science of the Public Health Practice program at University of Alaska Anchorage:
- Explain public health history, philosophy, and values.
- Identify the core functions of public health and the 10 Essential Services of Public Health.
- Explain the role of quantitative and qualitative methods and sciences in describing and assessing a population’s health.
- List major causes and trends of morbidity and mortality in the U.S. or other community relevant to the program.
- Discuss the science of primary, secondary, and tertiary prevention in population health, including health promotion and screening.
- Explain the critical importance of evidence in advancing public health knowledge.
Factors Related to Human Health
- Explain effects of environmental factors on a population’s health.
- Explain biological and genetic factors that affect a population’s health.
- Explain behavioral and psychological factors that affect a population’s health.
- Explain the social, political, and economic determinants of health and how they contribute to population health and health inequities.
- Explain how globalization affects global burdens of disease.
- Explain an ecological perspective on the connections among human health, animal health and ecosystem health (e.g., One Health).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Public Health and Society
- Environmental and Occupational Health
- Health Services Administration
- Circumpolar Health Issues
- Biostatistics for Health Professionals
- Principles of Epidemiology
- Program Evaluation
- Public Health Research Tools and Methods
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPublic Health Health Sciences View 1983 other Masters in Health Sciences in United States
- Submit documentation indicating a grade of 2.00 (C or higher) in an introductory statistics course which covers descriptive and inferential statistics.
- Provide a copy of one professional or technical writing sample of which the student is the primary author.
- Provide a current resume or curriculum vitae (CV).
- Submit an essay explaining how and why obtaining the MPH degree would contribute to the student's career goals.
- Completed applications are reviewed twice each year. The Department of Health Sciences deadlines are March 1 for fall admission and October 1 for spring admission. UAA admission must be successfully processed before the Department of Health Sciences will consider an application complete. The UAA process may take as long as four months, so applicants are encouraged to apply to the university first and early.
International45318 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1079 USD per credit during 12 months.
National45318 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1079 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State21546 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 513 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Anchorage
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.