Students specialize in one of the following emphasis areas: public management, public policy analysis, health administration or criminal justice. Dual emphasis areas can also be pursued.
The public management emphasis is designed for those working for, or planning to work for, executive agencies of local, state and federal governments; private nonprofit organizations; or government relations units of private corporations. It provides basic tools of public management, understanding of structure and processes of public organizations, and the history and context of the field of public administration.
The public policy analysis emphasis offers professional staff of executive and legislative departments of local, state and federal governments the capability to analyze the effects of a broad range of actual and hypothetical government policies. It emphasizes application of economic analysis and other quantitative and qualitative methods to Alaska and national policy issues.
The health administration emphasis prepares students as health administrators in local, state or federal agencies; non-profit organizations; and private companies in health-related fields. Students develop knowledge and skills necessary for effective public management in the health care area: planning, decision making, and managing people, money and programs.
The criminal justice emphasis provides a theoretical basis for management careers in criminal justice. Students develop knowledge and skills necessary for effective public management: planning, decision making, and managing people, money and programs. These skills are applicable to a wide spectrum of employment areas in law enforcement and the criminal justice system, and they are relevant for students seeking a terminal degree in justice administration.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Students graduating with a Public Administration program at University of Alaska Anchorage will be able to demonstrate:
- Leadership and decision making
- Awareness of the values and tradeoffs in public service, including sustainability, citizen engagement, democratic values and transparency
- Role of financial, human, information, technology and other resources
- Knowledge of the policy process, including assessment
- Problem-solving, including the use of evidence
- Information processing and technology for effective administration
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Economics and Public Policy
- Public Administration and Policy
- Seminar in Public Management
- Research Methods in Public Administration
- The Policymaking Process
- Organizational Theory, Design and Development
- Organizational Design and Development
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesFinance Public Administration View 706 other Masters in Finance in United States
Submit a 300-500 word statement on their career goals and how the MPA degree relates to them.Submit a professional resume or vita.Meet one of the following criteria:
- Have a combined undergraduate GPA plus GRE Analytic score totaling 7.0 or higher. The GRE test is not required for students having already earned a graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or a foreign equivalent, provided they have an undergraduate GPA of 3.00.
- Have an undergraduate GPA of 3.00 and have taken an introductory course in government (or demonstrate knowledge by taking an approved UAA college-level achievement examination)
International38844 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1079 USD per credit during 12 months.
National38844 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1079 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State18468 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 513 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Anchorage
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.