Students of the Community Planning and Historic Preservation program from University of Maryland are ideally prepared to practice at the intersection of planning and preservation, disciplines that have long had close ties. For example, the Maryland Historical Trust, Maryland's State Historic Preservation Office is housed with the state's planning department. Similarly, preservation is imbedded in the planning offices in Baltimore City, and county's such as Prince Georges and Montgomery.
Graduates of this program are prepared to practice in either discipline (a strength in times of economic recession) and, more importantly, are able to bring their special knowledge and understanding to preservation planning issues in community's acrossthe state and nation.
Facilities and Special Resources
The School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation is ideally located between Washington, DC, and Baltimore and surrounded by a number of historic communities and a varied physical environment. The resulting opportunity for community planning and historic preservation is unsurpassed.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- History, Theory, and Practice of Historic Preservation
- Historical Research Methods
- Preservation Policy and Planning
- Social and Ethnic Issues in Historic Preservation Practice
- Historic Preservation Law, Advocacy and Public Policy
- American Vernacular Architecture
- Conservation of Historic Places: Historic Materials, Building Systems, and Conservation
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArchitecture Ancient History View 301 other Masters in Architecture in United States
- Statement of Purpose: In addition to the stated requirements, students should discuss specific interest in pursuing a concurrent dual degree within two programs.
- TOEFL/IELTS/PTE (international graduate students)
- Letters of Recommendation (3)
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Writing Sample: A writing sample of at least 10-30 pages.
- Must be admitted by both programs to pursue dual degree.
International39000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19500 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National39000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19500 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
In-State17544 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8772 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.