This Jewish Studies program consists of a five-course core sequence and a major in one of five fields: biblical and ancient Near Eastern civilization, rabbinic literature, Jewish thought and mysticism, or Jewish history. Program graduates successfully pursue doctoral programs or positions in the professional or academic arena.
Dual Degree Option: Leadership in Jewish Education and Communal Service and Jewish Studies
The dual-degree program in Jewish Education and Jewish Studies is a 59-unit program that prepares professionals and educators to lead the Jewish community of the 21st century. At the same time, students are immersed in Jewish classics and humanities, develop a comprehension of the scope of the Jewish experience and prepare to become effective and knowledgeable Jewish educators.
The faculty include prominent scholars and educators with credentials in a key areas of Jewish studies, Jewish communal service and Jewish education. Faculty research and publications cover the areas of Jewish thought and mysticism, the archaeology of ancient Israel, Second Temple period literature and history, Rabbinic thought and literature, biblical and ancient Near Eastern civilization, European Jewish history, informal and formal Jewish education.
Why Towson University?
- Towson is ideally located just minutes from Baltimore City, Pikesville, Owings Mills, and Reisterstown giving you easy access to internship and employment opportunities within a vast local network of Jewish communal organizations, non-profit agencies, synagogues, community centers and day schools.
- Towson’s Baltimore Hebrew Institute (BHI) represents our commitment to providing support for the education and training of scholars, communal professionals and Jewish educators who exemplify excellence.
- Through the BHI, students enrolled in Jewish Studies graduate programs have access to a variety of special programs and social activities as well as fellowship and scholarship opportunities.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Biblical Literature And Civilization
- Introduction To Rabbinic Literature And History
- Medieval Jewish History
- Jews In The Modern World
- Introduction To Jewish Thought
- Diaspora Jewish Communities
- American Jewish History
- Contemporary Jewish Ethics: Reshaping The Jewish Identity In Our Generation
- Jdst Thesis
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology View 730 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in United States
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university*
- Minimum of a B average: overall GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Official transcript from all post-secondary institutions
- Statement of Intent: a one-page essay describing your academic and professional goals and how this degree program can help you achieve these goals.
- Sample of Work: a written sample of an academic research paper, thesis chapter or a published writing sample, no more than 20 pages.
- Three letters of recommendation, at least one from an academic source (Email addresses of recommenders must be entered on application).
- Applicants must be available for an interview with the director, in person or by phone.
- Current Resume
- Applicants from other countries are subject to the same requirements for admission as are applicants from the U.S.
- Applicants from other countries will be required to demonstrate proof of funding in order to obtain a visa to attend school in the US.
International1104 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1104 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National1104 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1104 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
In-State612 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 612 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.