Earn Your Master’s Degree in Health Care Informatics – Online or on Campus
Health care informatics is a rapidly growing, interdisciplinary field that resides at the intersection of computer science, information management, and healthcare. Its purpose is the automation, management and improvement of health information in the support of health care delivery.
The Health Care Informatics program at University of San Diego is cross-disciplinary and draws faculty from healthcare, business, engineering, and computer science to prepare you with the range of skills necessary to take on a leadership role in informatics within your organization, or to apply your highly marketable skills to a new challenge.
USD’s M.S. in Health Informatics is offered in both campus-based and online formats, both of which can be completed in as little as two years.
What You’ll Learn in the M.S. in Health Care Informatics Program
University of San Diego’s MS-HCI integrates healthcare information management, information technology, health system leadership and business knowledge/skills to prepare you for a variety of health informatics and clinical analytics positions. You will learn technical skills such as:
- Design and management of databases
- Application of information systems to solve clinical problems
- Workflow design
- Design for the integration of human/technology systems
- Advanced leadership skills in project/technology team management
- Organizational leadership in data and technology management
You’ll also develop key business management and healthcare administration skills, including:
- Conflict resolution
- Financial management
- Data management
- Strategic planning
- Policy development
- Professional and ethical responsibility
Throughout the program, you’ll create and maintain a portfolio that reflects the knowledge you’ve developed and skills you’ve mastered – preparing you not only for graduation but for demonstrating your expertise to potential employers.
- Health Care Information Management
- Health Care Delivery Systems
- Systems Analysis and Design for Health Care Informatics
- Database Design and Knowledge Management
- Clinical Documentation: Electronic Medical Record Systems
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesHealth Administration Health Sciences Health Informatics View 217 other Masters in Health Informatics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Successful completion of a bachelor’s degree or equivalent, from an accredited university
- Basic computer and information management skills, including familiarity and experience with Microsoft Office products (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Basic understanding of medical terminology (Non-health care professionals will need to complete the online medical terminology course by the end of the first term. This course is not part of the degree curriculum.)
- A TOEFL exam – the new TOEFL at Home test is a great option
- A course by course transcript evaluation and report by one of these approved agencies. No other transcript evaluation will be accepted for degrees earned outside the U.S.
- If you are currently in the U.S. on an F-1 or M-1 student visa, you are not eligible to pursue the online section of our program, per U.S. immigration regulations
- College/University Transcripts
- Statement of Purpose/Personal Statement
- One letter of support from a current employer
- One year of work experience preferred
International32235 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1535 USD per credit during 24 months.
National32235 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1535 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for San Diego
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.