Studying the Applied Linguistics (Distance Learning) programme from University of Birmingham by distance learning, you will be provided with a set of interactive course materials to complete in part-time, self-study mode over a period of at least 30 months.Why study this course?
- Flexibility – we have multiple start dates throughout the year so you have the option of choosing when to commence your studies with us. You can study at home, in your own time and at your own pace, so you can combine achieving a qualification with other commitments. You also have the benefit of developing your career without having to leave employment.
- Real life application – you can begin to apply new knowledge and insights to your working life whilst you are still studying. Many students even choose to tackle work-related topics in their dissertations.
- Opportunity to attend our summer school – opportunity to attend one of our summer schools in Birmingham, Japan or Korea to learn more about the discipline and meet with academics and other students on the programme.
- Access to excellent resources – you will have free access to the 450 million-word Bank of English corpus, and to the hardware, software and data resources held at the Centre for Corpus Research. You will also have access to online resources such as the Academic Writing Advisory Service and the Bank of Assessed Work to help with transitioning to postgraduate studies. We also have an extensive and growing range of books and journals available through the University's online library.
- Personal tutor – your personal tutor will be on hand to answer questions regarding the content of your programme and give advice on what to read and on writing your assignments.
- Excellent reputation – The Department of English Language and Linguistics is one of the oldest and largest of its kind in the country. The distance programmes have been running for more than twenty years and have gained an excellent reputation. The online materials have been developed by experts in the field with a range of research interests and specialisms.
Birmingham's English Language and Applied Linguistics postgraduates develop a broad range of transferable skills that are highly valued by employers, particularly in relation to verbal and written communication. They also develop crucial skills in organisation, time management, analysis and interpretation of information.
Many of our graduates enter roles for which their programme has prepared them, such as teaching and lecturing; others use their transferable skills in a wide range of occupations including journalism, marketing and events.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Corpus Linguistics
- English Language Teaching Management
- Functional Grammar
- Language and New Media
- Language Teaching Methodology
- Language Testing
- Multimodal Communication
- Pedagogic Grammar
- Second Language Acquisition
- 30 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 51 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
- A good Honours degree in a relevant subject, or overseas equivalent. However, when considering your application, we look at your qualifications and work experience as well as your academic credentials.
- If your first degree is in an unrelated subject but you have relevant professional experience you may well be eligible for the course.
- For this reason, it is important to provide details of any current and/or previous employment in your application; it is always helpful to include a current CV but please complete the relevant sections of the application form as well.
International1100 GBP/moduleTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1100 GBP per module and a duration of 30 months.
EU/EEA1100 GBP/moduleTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1100 GBP per module and a duration of 30 months.
- Scholarships to cover fees and/or maintenance costs may be available
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.