The Drama and Theatre Studies (On-Campus or By Distance Learning) programme offered by University of Birmingham requires you to prepare a thesis of up to 40,000 words on a topic of your choice, for which an academic staff member will provide expert supervision. The PhD, the most advanced research degree, leads to a thesis of up to 80,000 words on a subject of your choice and under the expert supervision of an academic member of staff.
You can study an MA by Research or PhD programme on campus or by distance learning. Please note that if you are studying with us by distance learning, the programme includes a fully-funded annual visit to campus for each full year of your programme (every two years for part-time students).
Some of the graduates enter roles for which their programme has especially prepared them, such as playwriting, directing or teaching drama; others use their transferable skills in a wide variety of occupations ranging from production management, to marketing, to arts administration; some choose to pursue careers in academia. Employers that the graduates have gone on to work for include: Birmingham Hippodrome; Welsh National Opera; the National Film and Television School; and the University of Birmingham.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Contemporary Theatre and Performance
- Research-led professional practice
- Theatre history and histography
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesTheatre & Dance View 173 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United Kingdom
- For MRes and MA by Research programmes, entry to our programmes usually requires a good (normally a 2:1 or above) Honours degree, or an equivalent qualification if you were educated outside the UK.
- Applicants for a PhD will also need to hold a Masters qualification at Merit level or above (or its international equivalent).
International17880 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17880 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA4380 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4380 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- EU/EEA :2190 GBP part-time
- International: £8,940 part-time
- Government-backed postgraduate loans are available to help UK and EU students to finance their studies. Loans are available of up to £10,609 for Masters by Research students and up to £25,000 for PhD students, in all subject areas.
- International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.