The School of Film, Dance and Theatre offers the Theatre - Dramatic Writing MFA program from Arizona State University and supports the production of new plays and performance works written by its Master of Fine Arts students. Student-written work is included in the Theatre Labs and is considered for main stage productions.
Professionals with an Master of Fine Arts in dramatic writing regularly have their work produced at festivals, staged readings and theatres across the country. They have obtained highly competitive artist residencies and awards for their work. Some have had their plays published.
Career examples include:
- publishing plays
- readings and full productions of work at theatre festivals
- teaching in a variety of contexts from adjunct, visiting faculty, and professors of practice
- working at an established arts organization in a variety of roles
- working as a teaching artist
- work produced and staged professionally at established theatres and venues
- Research Methods
- Studies in Dramatic Theory and Criticism
- Theatre History and Literature
- Dramatic Writer's Workshop
- Scripts in Progress
- Literary Management Workshop
- Directing the New Play
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesCreative Writing Literature Theatre & Dance View 383 other Masters in Creative Writing in United States
- Applicants must fulfill the requirements of both the Graduate College and the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts.
- A bachelor's or master's degree in theatre or in creative writing from a regionally accredited institution. An applicant may have an undergraduate degree outside of theatre and may be admitted on the basis of excellent creative writing and academic work.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 in the last 60 hours of their first bachelor's degree program, or applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 in an applicable master's degree program.
- graduate admission application and application fee
- official transcripts
- three letters of recommendation
- current resume
- statement of career goals, including writing endeavors or interests
- manuscript sample of either a full-length play (60 pages or more) or a series of one-act plays (30 pages minimum)
- proof of English proficiency
International25200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25200 USD per year during 24 months.
National23544 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23544 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State11720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11720 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Tempe Junction
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.