Graduates of the Geography MA program from Arizona State University find career opportunities in public and private industries, including education, government agencies and research facilities, as well as continue on to pursue doctoral degrees. Our program is flexible and allows for the pursuit of the individual needs and interests of students, allowing students to create a plan of study that fits their personal and professional goals.
In addition to the innovative coursework of our program, our state-of-the-art research centers, Spatial Analysis Research Center (SPARC) and Urban Climate Research Center (UCRC), offer students the opportunity to work with our exceptional faculty on diverse research projects. Students will have the opportunity to work alongside some of the brightest minds in geography, including four members of the National Academy of Sciences and rising talent in the fields of urban heat island research, GIS and more.
The opportunity for specialization will not only allow you to hone your skills, but to also explore other related topics within the field of geography. That's because we place our focus on location – the heart of geography, urban planning, climatology, and GIS – and from that foundation, we develop cutting-edge techniques and solutions to the complex issues facing society.
Professionals with expertise in geographical sciences research, theory and practice are in high demand across sectors and industries, including consulting firms, government agencies, community organizations and public and private research facilities. Skills in geographical data analysis, mapping and climate science are valuable to businesses and institutions relying on research-based approaches to solve complex real-world problems.
Some graduates of the program continue on to pursue doctoral degrees.
Career examples include:
- environmental scientist or specialist
- geographic information systems technician
- geological materials technician
- geophysical data technician
- geospatial information scientist or technologist
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Contemporary Geographic Thought
- Geographic Research Design and Proposal Writing
- Human Geography
- World Geography
- The Global Economy in Transition
- Geographic Information Science
- Physical Geography
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeography Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Urban Planning View 286 other Masters in Geography in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Applicants must fulfill the requirements of both the Graduate College and The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- Applicants are eligible to apply to the program if they have earned a bachelor's or master's degree, in any field, from a regionally accredited institution.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00= "A") in the last 60 hours of their first bachelor's degree program, or applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in an applicable master's degree program.
All applicants must submit:
- graduate admission application and application fee
- official transcripts
- personal statement
- three letters of recommendation
- proof of English proficiency
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International25200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25200 USD per year during 24 months.
National23544 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23544 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State11720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11720 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Tempe Junction
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.