There are four broad concentration areas: environmental studies, geographic information science, places and cultures, and urban geography studies. The program accommodates students with a variety of professional backgrounds, and with academic training in social sciences, computer science, environmental science / engineering as well as traditional geography.
The Geography program at The City University of New York emphasizes geographic theory, skills, and analytical methodologies in urban, physical, and environmental geography, as well as geographic information science. A limited number of research, teaching, and college assistantships are available. The MA degree can be completed through either a thesis or a non-thesis option. Full-time students may be able to complete the M.A. within three semesters, but the average time for degree completion is three years. Many courses are offered in the evening to accommodate part-time and working students.
An MA in Geography from Hunter can lead to employment with local and national governments, international agencies, non-government organizations, corporations, consultants and information technology companies. The New York area is home to diverse urban communities, dynamic economies and cultures, government structures of all levels (from local to international), and corporate headquarters. Located on Manhattan’s upper east side, Hunter College is close to these activities. Students who wish to continue graduate work at the PhD level will find themselves well prepared and equipped with the research and technical skills necessary for advanced research.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Principles of Geography
- Geography of the United States
- Geography of New York State
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesGeography View 176 other Masters in Geography in United States
- Typically, a Geography applicant has completed at least 18 credit hours in geography. While a lack of a background in geography will not impede admission, all students are expected to gain basic knowledge of geography prior to graduation in consultation with the student's adviser. It is recommended that students enter the program with knowledge of basic statistics.
- All students are required to take the Graduate Record Examination. Foreign students whose first language is not English must pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language.
- Two letters of recommendation are required.
International855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 855 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 855 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
- Local students: $5,545 / semester
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.