The Social Work MSW program from San José State University prepares students for professional practice, and enables them to work competently with Latinos, other minority groups, and those communities, groups, families, and individuals who are disenfranchised, oppressed, and/or marginalized.
The program uses a cohort-based enrollment and learning strategy, in which students progress take foundation year classes with the same group of students.
Graduates with Social Work from San José State University will be able to:
- Demonstrate Ethical and Professional Behavior.
- Engage Diversity and Difference in Practice.
- Advance Human Rights and Social, Economic, and Environmental Justice.
- Engage In Practice-informed Research and Research-informed Practice.
- Engage in Policy Practice.
- Engage with Individuals, Families, Groups, Organizations, and Communities.
- Assess Individuals, Families, Groups, Organizations, and Communities.
- Evaluate Practice with Individuals, Families, Groups, Organizations, and Communities.
- Social Work Graduate Writing Course
- Social Policy and Services: History and Values
- Social Policy Analysis
- Human Behavior in Social Environment
- Transcultural Generalist Practice
- Social Work Practicum
- Research Methods and Design
- 24 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work Sociology View 542 other Masters in Social Work in United States
- A personal statement describing the applicant’s interest in the field and professional goals
- Three recommendations from professionals in the field or former professors
- A sample of the applicant’s best writing, i.e., a paper written for an upper-division or graduate-level class, technical report, or other example of academic or professional written work
- Bachelor’s degree in social work from a program accredited by CSWE at the time of admission or within the last seven years
- A minimum grade point average of 3.5 and minimum grade of A- in all BSW/BASW (social work major) courses
- At least 400 hours of recent social work related experience (cumulative internship, paid, or volunteer experience) in addition to the minimum internship hours requirement for the BSW/BASW degree
- Submit U.S./Canada Transcripts; Test Scores; Declaration of Finance Form; Bank Letter or Bank Statement; Copy of Current Passport; Copy of Current Visa
International7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3588 USD per semester during 24 months.
National7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3588 USD per semester during 24 months.
- Non-CA Resident tuition includes an additional $396 per unit.
Living costs for San Jose
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.