The Creative Writing (Fiction Concentration) program from Texas State University gives talented authors the opportunity to develop their craft in a formal academic program and a community of writers.
The M.F.A. program in creative writing provides students with graduate-level knowledge of literature and theory, as well as the skills to function as advanced practitioners within their genre. Students will demonstrate their development as artists through a facility with the elements of craft in their area of concentration, along with a mature understanding of writerly process and discipline.
Students can also take course work in creative nonfiction, though it is not an official concentration.
The M.F.A. is considered a terminal degree, which means that graduates can teach at a university level. Many graduates are working practitioners of fiction, poetry, nonfiction, and screenplays and also possess highly-developed writing skills that are valuable in a wide variety of work environments. Graduates of the Texas State program are competitive with literature doctoral students.
The master of fine arts degree in creative writing requires 48 semester hours, including:
- writing workshops
- form and theory
- literary techniques
- minor or cognate (other than creative writing)
- thesis credit leading to the production of a book-length work of literary merit
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before
DisciplinesCreative Writing Liberal Arts Literature View 776 other Masters in Literature in United States
- completed online application
- $55 nonrefundable application fee or
- $90 nonrefundable application fee for applications with international credentials
- baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 2.75 GPA in your last 60 hours of undergraduate course work (plus any completed graduate courses)
International36720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 765 USD per credit during 12 months.
National36720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 765 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State17136 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 357 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for San Marcos
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.