Reading Education majors at Texas State University are prepared to meet the International Reading Association professional standards for Reading Specialist/Literacy Coach or the Reading Administrator. Certified teachers with three or more years of teaching experience who successfully complete the major and pass the Professional Reading Specialist Texas Examination of Educator Standards (TExES) qualify for the PK-12 Professional Reading Specialist certificate. An academic minor in reading education is available for those students majoring in other areas. Neither the major nor the minor leads to initial certification as a teacher.
The Texas Education Agency (TEA) requires multiple background checks for progression through the Educator Preparation Program. Based on information recorded in your criminal history, you may be ineligible for issuance of a certificate upon completion of the Educator Preparation Program. If you have a criminal history, you may obtain a Preliminary Criminal History Evaluation from TEA.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Teaching Literacy with Children’s and Young Adult Literature
- Foundations of Literacy Instruction
- Teaching Reading in the Elementary and Middle Schools
- Developmental Literacy in the Middle and Secondary Schools
- Literacy Methods for Linguistically and Culturally Diverse Students
- Connecting Reading and Writing in the Classroom
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation View 3542 other Masters in Education in United States
- completed online application
- $35 nonrefundable Texas Education Agency technology fee (if offered admission)
- $55 nonrefundable application fee
- $90 nonrefundable application fee for applications with international credentials
- baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
- official transcripts from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 3.0 GPA in the last 60 hours of undergraduate course work (plus any completed graduate courses)
- GRE not required
- departmental application
- copy of official teaching certificate (and preferably at least one year of teaching experience)
International15440 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15440 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National15440 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15440 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
In-State7880 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7880 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.