The goal of the Applied Theatre program at The City University of New York is to educate scholar practitioners to become future leaders in the field of applied theatre. Applied Theatre involves the use of theatre and drama in a wide variety of nontraditional contexts and venues, such as in teaching, the justice system, health care, the political arena, community development, museums, and social service agencies.
Graduates of the program are prepared for careers as teaching artists with theatres, museums, hospitals, and other community-based organizations; education directors for cultural organizations; facilitators of youth programs; creative aging artists; health and wellness theatre program specialists; conflict resolution; and activities specialists with development programs, aid agencies, and refugee support programs.
Students in the Program:
- Practice actor-centered, collaborative approaches to leading creative teams and playbuilding original theatre
- Study a range of artistic, educational, and social theories that inform progressive practice
- Collaborate as a member of a student ensemble to support creative risk-taking
- Progress through carefully sequenced courses with an emphasis on the unity of theory and practice
- Devise and perform theatre-in-education interventions in New York City schools and community settings
- Develop work alongside the renowned CUNY Creative Arts Team
- Research, implement, document, and evaluate an original applied theatre thesis project.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Community, Culture, and Diversity
- Teaching through Theatre
- Theatre of the Oppressed
- The Co-intentional Director
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesTheatre & Dance View 268 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, with a GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Applicants are required to write a personal statement, upload a resume, and provide two letters of recommendation. An individual interview may be necessary.
- We encourage applications from people with a variety of undergraduate majors and professional backgrounds. Theatre experience, formal or informal, is expected. Applicants who meet the basic eligibility criteria may be asked to take part in an artistic review.
International855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 855 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 855 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
- Local students: $5,545 / semester
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.