The University of Alabama Master of Arts in Women’s Studies is a thirty (30) credit hour degree program which focuses on feminist research. The program emphasizes interdisciplinary and cross-cultural methodology, as well as analytical and theoretical perspectives on women. Students can specialize in feminist theory, the culture of southern women, women in the civil rights movement, or other areas of feminist and interdisciplinary research.
- Plan I (thesis plan) requires at least 30 hours of coursework (including 9 hours of core courses, 15 hours of elective courses, and 6 hours of thesis research), and a thesis.
- Plan II (comprehensive exam) requires 30 hours of coursework (including 9 hours of core courses, 21 hours of elective courses), and a comprehensive exam.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Feminist Theory: Women in Contemporary Society
- Issues and Problems in Women’s Studies Research
- Gender, Race, and Class: Cross-Cultural Approaches
- Thesis Research
- Independent Study in Women’s Studies
- Seminar in Teaching Women’s Studies
- Special Topics (i.e., Women and Utopia, Feminisms on Film etc.)
- Women and Work
- Women’s Studies Practicum
- Feminist Theory: Major Texts
- Seminar in Women’s Studies
- Women in America
- Women and Public Policy
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesGender & Sexuality Studies Sociology Civil & Private Law View 347 other Masters in Sociology in United States
- Applicant data sheet and statement of purpose
- One transcript for each U.S. or international institution of higher education
- Admissions test scores less than five years old
- The application fee is $65 for U.S. citizens and permanent residents and $80 for international applicants
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Additional application materials (e.g., portfolios, writing samples, responses to essay questions, etc.) required by individual departments
- International applicants must submit one certified copy in the native language along with certified precise word-for-word English translations of all transcripts, diplomas, and certificates of degree.
International29230 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14615 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National10780 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5390 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.