Small by design, the M.A. in English - Creative Writing graduate program at Ohio University offers a comprehensive curriculum, an award-winning faculty and the intimacy of small classes.
The department hosts several annual events including an ambitious Spring Literary Festival that brings five nationally distinguished writers to campus for three-days of readings, craft talks, and student discussion. Recent visitors have included Tony Hoagland, Kathryn Harrison, Barry Lopez, Francine Prose, Peter Ho Davies, Kim Addonizio, David Shields, Robert Hass, Charles Simic, Yusef Komunyakaa, and Marilynne Robinson.
Visiting writers engage with our program year-round as well, appearing in both undergraduate and graduate classes, meeting one-on-one with select students, and offering evening readings in the intimate Galbreath Chapel.
In addition to a regular Dogwood Bloom reading series for our graduate students, the creative writing program hosts an annual Writers' Harvest benefit reading for the Southeastern Ohio Food Bank?s Second Harvest, a food distribution program serving Athens, Hocking, Perry, Vinton, Jackson, Gallia, Meigs, Morgan and Washington counties.
- Teaching College English (required only for teaching assistants)
- Theory of Literature: Poetry, Mark Halliday
- Creative Writing Seminar: Fiction
- Theory of Literature: Fiction, Zakes Mda
- Creative Writing Seminar: Poetry, Jill Allyn Rosser
- History of the Essay, Dinty W. Moore
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Creative Writing Literature View 999 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- A completed online application for admission
- Bachelors degree with a record of substantial coursework in English language and literature.
- Foreign language
- Three letters of recommendation from professors familiar with the applicant?s academic work.
- General Record Examination (GRE) required.
- Writing sample that reflects your best work. Applicants in literature should submit a critical essay of 10 to 15 pages in length.
- One- to two-page Statement of Purpose to the admissions committee outlining your educational background, interests and goals, and the ways you think Ohio University's program can foster and help you implement your plans.
- Resume or Vitae recommended.
- English Proficiency. All non-native English speakers must demonstrate English proficiency by submitting official test scores for either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS academic).
International17436 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8718 USD per semester during 24 months.
National17436 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8718 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State9444 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4722 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Athens
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.