The overriding goal is to help students develop a high-level skill set that will enable him or her to pursue a career as a professional arranger/composer, orchestrator, film and media composer and educator. Students in the Studio Jazz Writing program from University of Miami encounter a creative, challenging and nurturing educational experience that respects tradition, reflects current professional trends, fosters innovation and stimulates growth among students and faculty alike.
Studio/Jazz Writing is a unique and intense two-year course of study that includes writing for large and small jazz ensembles, symphonic orchestra, large and small jazz vocal ensembles and writing for film and media. In addition, studio/jazz writing majors learn “hands on” how to run a recording studio.
The mission of the Master of Music program in Studio Jazz Writing is to prepare composers/arrangers to enter the music profession. We aim to develop student jazz writing skills beyond those developed during the Bachelor's degree.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Jazz Composition Seminar
- Advanced Modern Arranging
- Advanced Orchestration
- Introduction to Midi Sequencing and Digital Workstations
- Jazz Writing Ensemble
- Master's Jazz Writing Project
- Audio Technology for Musicians
- Entrepreneurship for Musicians
- Film Scoring
- Composition Seminar
- Transcripts – an official transcript from ALL post-secondary schools attended, regardless of if a degree was granted or not, must be sent directly to the Frost School of Music from the issuing institution in order to be considered official
- Three letters of recommendation - sent through CollegeNet as part of application submission. These do not need to be sent separately
- Resume - attached to the application at the time of submission. This does not need to be sent separately
- GRE Score
- TOEFL/IELTS Score
- Teaching/Conducting Sample
- Writing Sample
International10000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10000 USD per year during 24 months.
National10000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10000 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Miami
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.