A major in the English program of Case Western Reserve University prepares students for various sorts of careers. Three paths are common:
- English leads readily to careers that put a premium on writing skills and on the ability to analyze complex human situations. In addition to the fields that have often been of first interest to English majors (writing and publishing, journalism, advertising, the film industry, public relations, and teaching), significant opportunities exist in the corporate world, in government, and in nonprofit organizations such as those devoted to social service, the environment, or the arts.
The Department of English offers programs in American and English literature and language leading to the Master of Arts and Doctor of Philosophy degrees. At either the MA or PhD level, students may elect a concentration in Writing History and Theory or a concentration in Creative Writing.
Candidates for graduate work in English should present an undergraduate major in English or a minimum of 18 semester hours of English (or its equivalent) beyond the freshman level. In some cases, students will be required to make up deficiencies without graduate credit. The department requires all candidates for admission to submit their scores on the aptitude sections of the Graduate Record Examination. Candidates are also required to submit a writing sample, consisting of at least 15 pages of academic writing.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Rhetoric and Teaching of Writing
- Linguistic Analysis
- Academic Reading and Critical Thinking
- Academic Writing and Grammar
- Advanced Creative Writing
- History of the English Language
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies View 912 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- A complete School of Graduate Studies application
- Statement of Scholarly Purpose (PDF format, please)
- Writing Sample (PDF format, please; 15-20 pp. analytic paper)
- The names and contact information for three academic recommenders (from whom letters will be solicited electronically, the preferred method)
- GRE scores
- Transcripts from all institutions previously attended. Unofficial copies may be uploaded to online application. (Official copies are not necessary until acceptance.)
- University application fee
International46524 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 23262 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
National46524 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 23262 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.