The Secondary Education (QTS) - English programme offered by the University of Birmingham has an excellent and proven track record. It is rigorous and challenging, forming an excellent preparation for a successful career in teaching English.
At the University of Birmingham we believe we should provide student teachers with the highest level of teacher education as possible, and this is why we offer a Post-Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDipEd) rather than a Post-Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE).
Both qualifications lead to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) but the PGDipEd also offers the equivalent of 120 credits at Master’s level (out of 180), which makes it a highly rewarding course by combining both theory and practice.
Following satisfactory completion of this course, plus a successful induction year in school and references, you can return to complete an MA in Teaching Studies (data collection and a 15,000 word dissertation). Additionally, the School also offers a number of specialised Professional Development programmes which will enable you to further develop your career.
The University of Birmingham English PGDipEd (QTS) course is highly regarded across Birmingham and the West Midlands. We have an excellent record of students gaining jobs at the end of the course. For 2013-2014 the employabilty rate was 100% and all graduates obtained employment in a teaching role. Many of our ex-students have gone on to become Heads of Departments, Senior Managers, advisers and University tutors.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
About The Course:
- Teaching practice will take several forms: school placements and also team teaching while at the University. You will also get involved in small scale research projects for your assignments so that you can evaluate the theory in practice and integrate this learning into your own teaching.
- 9 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply online through the UCAS Teacher Training portal
DisciplinesEducation Language Studies Languages View 817 other Masters in Education in United Kingdom
- have a GCSE in Maths and English (grade 4 or above) or an equivalent qualification which must be attained before making your application.
- have passed Professional Skills Tests in numeracy and literacy by the date stated in any offer. The University of Birmingham has produced a resource list which you may find helpful.
- complete an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.
- complete relevant checks to ensure you have the health and physical capacity to teach.
- agree to abide by the University of Birmingham Code of Professional Conduct and Fitness to Practise.
International18450 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18450 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 9 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 9 months.
This course attracts tax-free bursaries of up to £12,000 in line with the government’s priorities to increase the number of English teachers.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.