Distinguished literary translators must be lifelong students of literature and have superior writing skills in English. They must also understand the business of translation.
The minimum degree requirement for admission to the program is a bachelor’s degree. Applicants should have significant preparation in one or more literary and linguistic traditions.
The Literary Translation program of University of Rochester has three components:
- Annotated thesis translation
The core introduces you to the theories and problems of literary translation, giving you the framework to work on a series of translations independently and in consultation with your advisor. You also take a writing workshop to hone your writing skills not only as a literal translator but as a translator of literature.
- Studies in Translation
- Writing and Translation Workshop
- Studies in International Literature
- Literary Studies
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLiterature Translation & Interpreting Linguistics View 40 other Masters in Translation & Interpreting in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in related field
- Completed the online application
- Official transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal statement describing: Career and educational goals, Prior experience with literary studies, creative writing, translation, and languages other than English, Proficiency in a second foreign language and literary tradition
- Translation sample (approximately 20 pages of fiction or drama, 200 lines of poetry) and copies of corresponding pages from source text
- There is a $60 application fee
International54540 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1818 USD per credit during 12 months.
National54540 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1818 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Rochester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.