Social Work from East Tennessee State University aims to improve a society’s overall well-being, especially for the most vulnerable populations. Many social workers provide direct services to clients helping them cope, manage, and overcome problems such as poverty, abuse, addiction, and mental illness by providing counseling, connecting clients with needed resources, and empowering clients to create change in their own lives.
Social work’s distinguishing characteristics are its emphasis on the person-in-environment model and social justice. Social workers not only consider individuals’ internal struggles, as other counselors might, they also work with people to examine their relationships, family history, work environment, community environment, and the structures and policies that impact them in order to identify ways to help address a problem or challenge.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Advanced Practice with Individuals
- Advanced Practice with Families
- Social Work Practice
- Social Welfare Policy & Service
- Administrative Practices in HSO
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work Public Health Health Sciences View 1590 other Masters in Public Health in United States
- A completed application form.
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- One official transcript from every college or university where the applicant has taken courses, except for previous course work at ETSU.
- A non-refundable application fee of $55 for domestic students or $65 for international students.
- A Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale for the last 60 semester credit-hours or 90 quarter credit-hours, with an overall cumulative GPA of 2.75;
- A liberal arts base
- Three (3) letters of reference that address the applicant’s abilities and potential for graduate education and professional social work practice;
- A résumé that includes personal data, educational experience, work/volunteer experience, special skills, attributes, and professional affiliations and recognition; and
- The School of Graduate Studies requests a 150-300 word essay detailing “your interests in a graduate program at ETSU.”
International25856 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12928 USD per semester during 24 months.
National33252 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16626 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State10558 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5279 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Johnson City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.