The structure of the Physiology and Biophysics program at Virginia Commonwealth University provides a framework for the progressive development of a mastery of the current state of the subject matter of physiology and bioscience, as well as an ability to synthesize this information and apply this foundation to the identification of key areas of investigation and experimentation in bioscience. The program relates the above framework to the development of the ability to design, implement and interpret experimental approaches which address the questions identified. In addition, students will develop skills in the various means of communicating both the core of bioscience knowledge and the expression of experimental design, results and interpretation to a variety of potential audiences.
Student learning outcomes
Problem-solving and analytical skills: Degree candidates will demonstrate an appropriate level of skill to identify and address scientific questions and utilize appropriate analytical methods and tools.
- Problem-solving skills include the ability to: (1) define and state the hypotheses to be tested and their significance; (2) execute experimental and analytical methods to address the research questions; and (3) appropriately maintain complete records of experimental protocols, experimental data and working results of data analysis in order to document the accuracy and reproducibility of the studies and scientific publications.
- Analytical skills include the ability to: (1) interpret information and quantitative data relevant to studies and apply appropriate statistical tests to ensure data are robust; (2) connect rationales to experimental approaches; (3) draw reasonable conclusions from the evidence obtained; and (4) identify limitations in the experimental design and interpretation.
General knowledge of sciences and integration skills: Students will demonstrate an appropriate level of knowledge in their individual area of scholarship and related disciplines, including an appropriate familiarity with and understanding of the relevant research literature.
Communication skills: Degree candidates will demonstrate that an appropriate level of oral, written and visual communication skills have been acquired.
- Oral communication skills include selection of content, organization and logical flow of ideas, and development of clear and professional presentations using appropriate language and incorporating appropriate visual aids.
- Written communication skills include an appropriate use of grammar, syntax, spelling and vocabulary to effectively present written information in scientific style, including the use of figures, tables and citations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Laboratory Safety
- Mammalian Physiology
- Critical Thinking in Physiology
- Physiology Research Seminar
- Scientific Integrity
- Responsible Conduct of Research
- Cellular Signalling
- Cardiac Function in Health and Disease
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhysiotherapy View 164 other Masters in Physiotherapy in United States
- Personal statement
- Academic documentation
- Proof of English proficiency
- Additional academic requirements and regulations
- Foreign transcripts
- Financial certification
- Application fee
International25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
National25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12618 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12618 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Richmond
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.