The History program at University of Kansas completely integrated with our Ph.D. program, the M.A. in History at KU offers students the opportunity to develop subject expertise in fields of study, learn the conventions of professional scholarship in History, collaborate with other students, and receive one-on-one career advice and intellectual mentorship from our faculty.
As the intermediate degree in the field of History, the Master of Arts provides students with numerous opportunities to pursue further study in History, Law, and other fields, as well as a variety of non-academic professional outcomes.
Students in our M.A. program have continued to Ph.D. programs at Princeton, Yale, Oxford, and Cambridge, among other storied institutions. Others have used the skills and knowledge obtained during their M.A. study to further their careers as secondary educators, taking on leadership and curricular development roles throughout the region.
Students from our M.A. program have also excelled as archivists, museum curators and development officers, and as staffers at a wide range of governmental institutions and non-governmental organizations.
- Western History
- African History
- Roman History
- The Black Experience in the Americas
- Modern Latin America
- Latin American Culture and Society
- History of the United States Through the Civil War
- The Global Cold War
- Global Environment
- Food History: Around the World in Eight Dishes
- United States in the 1960s
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History Modern History View 324 other Masters in Modern History in United States
- Statement of Academic Objectives (two pages, double-spaced)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Writing Sample (maximum twenty-five pages, double-spaced).
- GRE Scores are not required.
- Official Transcript from each institution that has granted you a degree, or at which you are currently enrolled
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Graduate Letter of Recommendation Form (.pdf)
- Under Office of Graduate Studies rules, applicants must have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4-point scale in order to qualify for regular admission. Most successful applicants have undergraduate GPAs significantly above the minimum. Preference in admissions decisions will be given to applicants who do not yet possess the terminal degree in a humanities discipline.
International23951 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23951 USD per year during 12 months.
National23951 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23951 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State9989 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9989 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Lawrence
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.